1938 - 1984: the first generation
Albert Maene and Zulma Doutreloigne started their piano store in Esen (Diksmuide) in 1938. Father Maene was an organist and music teacher. He gave solfège and piano lessons at the music academy of Diksmuide and privately at his home. In his business he also rented out rooms with pianos where pupils could practice. Mother Maene excelled in business and in this way both formed an excellent duo to run their piano store.
Next door to the piano store lived organ builder Jozef Loncke, from whom Albert Maene learned the art of piano tuning. Pierre Labyt, a piano dealer and restorer from Bruges, also trained Albert Maene in the piano trade. Finally, also the Antwerp piano builder Guido Vancauwenberghe passed on his knowledge to Albert Maene.
Some important milestones in this period were:
- 1947 Relocation to Ruiselede, Aalterstraat 27
- 1958 Albert Maene makes a study carillon
- 1960 Sale of new Kawai grand pianos and grand pianos
- 1969 Chris Maene builds his first harpsichord
- 1971 Purchase of brewery "De Molen" in the Aalterstraat 4; this will later become the showroom as well
- 1972 Official Yamaha dealer
- 1973 Chris Maene joins the business
- 1975 First replica pianoforte: copy Johannes Daniel Dulcken
- 1981 Opening of new showroom in the center of Ruiselede.
- 1984 Chris Maene becomes manager of Piano's Maene